August 6, 2010
Foods that make and not make the drowsiness
Food consumed is the body's energy source. But there are foods that when eaten instead make sleepy. Conversely there are also foods that can banish drowsiness. What are the foods that affect sleep and foods that can fight drowsiness?
As quoted from Everybodyliveto100, Monday (4/26/2010), the following foods and beverages that affect sleep :
1. Sugar and CarbohydratesFoods rich in carbohydrates and sugars such as rice, bread and pasta can make you drowsy. This is because carbohydrates and sugars are the food the fast is broken during digestion, and has a high glycemic rating. Carbohydrates and sugars also accelerate the release of tryptophan and serotonin, a brain chemical that triggers sleep.
The combination of carbohydrates such as bread and peanut butter, cereal and milk, cheese and snacks, also can make people very drowsy.
2. Foods containing tryptophanDairy products like cheese, yogurt, and others are good sources of tryptophan, the amino acid that is converted to melatonin and serotonin, both of which cause drowsiness.
Wheat, bananas, poultry and peanuts also contain tryptophan. Snacks that are high in carbohydrates, low in protein also increase the levels of tryptophan which makes sleepiness.
3. Red wine (wine)Scientists in Italy have discovered that the grapes used to make red wine (wine) contain high levels of sleep hormone melatonin. Melatonin is naturally secreted by the pineal gland in the brain, especially at night. Consuming red wine can make you drowsy.
4. Food iron deficiencyIron deficiency is a common cause of fatigue. Iron deficiency causes fatigue because it is an important part of hemoglobin, a protein that helps distribute oxygen throughout the body. People who lack iron will usually be easy sleepy.
Iron-rich foods include organ meats like liver, or foods such as tofu, oatmeal, clams, oysters, and quinoa (like rice cooked food in the same way but offers more nutrients).
Meanwhile, foods that can make eyes awake is:
1. Spicy foodSpicy foods can make the heart was burning to make people stay awake. Sometimes some people are more susceptible to these foods than others (causing stomach churning).
2. CaffeineCaffeine is a stimulant that blocks hormones in the brain that cause drowsiness. Caffeine will keep us awake.
Caffeine products like coffee, tea, soft drinks, energy drinks and chocolate (including hot chocolate drinks), will have an effect in the body for 3 to 5 hours, but for some people even have an effect up to 12 hours.
Avoiding caffeine within 6-8 hours of sleep can help improve sleep quality.
3. AlcoholAlcohol can make people feel relaxed and fell asleep in a short time. But alcohol can also disrupt sleep and can reduce the quality of sleep, because the effects of alcohol can make people wake up at night.
4. Drinking waterDrinking water is the easiest first step is the most effective to combat fatigue and to stay awake.
By knowing the foods and beverages that affect sleep, you can control what food and beverages should be avoided in the morning and afternoon to prevent sleep. And food and drink anything that should be avoided at night to get good quality sleep.