Leaning tower of Pisa (in Italian: Torre pendente di Pisa) or commonly known as the Tower of Pisa (La Torre di Pisa) is a bell tower of a cathedral in Pisa, Italy. The tower is located behind the cathedral and is the third structure in the Campo dei Miracoli (miracle) of Pisa.
Although the original plan is built vertically, the tower began leaning to the southeast soon after construction in the year 1178, because the foundation is not perfect.
Height of the tower is 55.86 km from the ground on the lowest side and 56.70 m on the highest side. Building was the base width 4.09 m and width of the peak is 2.48 m. Weight of the tower is estimated to 14.500 tons and has 294 steps.
Construction of the Tower of Pisa was built in three stages, which takes about 200 years. Construction of white marble on the first floor began on August 9, 1173, during the period of military glory and prosperity of Italy. The first floor is surrounded by some of the pillars, and even though their side, but still stand for centuries.
There is controversy about the identity of the architect who built the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Over the years, these designs are believed to be made by Guglielmo and Bonanno Pisano, a local artist renowned in the 12th century, with its famous bronze work, especially in his works of Pisa Duomo.
Bonanno Pisano left Pisa in 1185, and moved to it also, Sicily, but later returned and died in the land of his birth. His tomb was found at the base of the tower in 1820.
The tower was first italics after the third floor was built in 1178, due to the decline in the three-meter-deep foundation, due to soil movement. This means that the design of the tower has been handicapped since the beginning.
Construction has been suspended for nearly a century old, because the citizens of Pisa almost involved wars with Genoa, Lucca and Florence. During the period of 'rest' this, the ground beneath the structure has returned to stability. And in the year 1198, set hours for a while, the building was still unfinished.
In 1272, the building was resumed by Giovanni at Simone, architect of Camposanto. The fourth floor was built to compensate for the slope of this tower. The rebuilding was stopped in the year 1284, when Pisa was conquered by the Genoese in the Battle Meloria.
Development of this bell tower, completed no halt until 1372. After that, Tommaso Andrea Pisano in the successful completion of Gothic elements of the tower, with a touch of Roman style. There are seven bells in the tower, which respectively represent the notes on the tone. The largest bell is installed in the year 1655.